Reform of Sugar Cane Industry Bill 2016 (Bill No. 19 of 2016) and Sugar Cane Growers Fund (Amendment) Bill 2016 (Bill No. 20 of 2016)
The Standing Committee on Economic Affairs will be conducting public hearings on the two Bills in the Western Divisions as follows:
|Wednesday 29th June||Rakiraki||George Shiu Raj Building||10.00 am – 12.00 pm|
|Tavua||Tavua Club Hall||02.30 pm – 04.30 pm|
|Thursday 30th June||Ba||Ba Civic Centre||10.00 am – 12.00 pm|
|Lautoka||Sugar Cane Growers Hall||02.30 pm – 04.30 pm|
|Friday 1st July||Nadi||Nadi Civic Centre||10.00 am – 12.00 pm|
|Sigatoka||Talenavuruvuru Bure||02.30 pm – 04.30 pm|
Reform of Sugar Cane Industry Bill, 2016 (Bill No. 19 of 2016) looks into:
- Sugar Industry Tribunal (Establishment, Composition, Functions, Indemnity and Transfer of Employees).
- Council of Sugar Cane Growers (Establishment, Composition, Functions, Special Levy and Inquiry)
- Mill Area Committee (Establishment, Composition, Functions, Meetings and Financial Provision).
- Sugar Industry Master Award (Minister to make Master award, Finalisation and Publication of Master Award following numerous consultations and consideration of submissions)
- Registration of Growers (Persons Entitled, Cancellation of Registration and Inspection of Register).
- Restrictions on Industrial Action (Restrictions and Penalties for Unlawful Action).
- Disputes Procedure (Hearing and Proceedings, Procedure of Tribunal and Powers of Inspection).
- Awards (Forms of Award, Cancellation, Variation and Suspension of Awards and Appeal to High Court).
- Transfer and Conversion of Shares, Assets and Liabilities (Shares in Fiji Sugar Corporation Limited and South Pacific Fertiliser Limited).
Sugar Cane Growers Fund (Amendment) Bill 2016 (Bill No. 20 of 2016)
This Bill seeks to amend the Sugar Cane Growers Fund Act (Cap. 207) to align the provisions of the Act with the changes proposed by the Reform of Sugar Cane Industry Bill 2016 (Bill No. 19 of 2016).
All those wishing to make submissions at the above-mentioned venues are requested to contact the Committee Secretary (Selveen) through email (firstname.lastname@example.org); telephone 679 3225695 or mobile 679 8933076.