Expressions of Interest: Pacific Region Candidates for the role of CPA Secretary-General and Chief Executive Officer
Commonwealth Parliamentary Association
Fixed Term Four-Year Contract – UK based
Salary £100,000 – £125,000
The Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) exists to connect, develop and support the Parliamentarians and staff of the Commonwealth’s Parliaments. The Secretary-General is accountable for the overall success of the Association by driving, managing and promoting all aspects of the CPA’s aims and objectives. The Association has a key role at a critical period for the Commonwealth and its democracies.
The Secretary-General will be at the heart of that: delivering programmes which make a difference to Members and their Parliaments, consolidating the Association’s financial position, cultivating the trust of its political leadership, and being a great people-leader to the staff in the secretariat.
The CPA Secretariat is based in London, United Kingdom. The role of Secretary-General is an international appointment, and where required, the Association will provide all reasonable assistance in obtaining any necessary permission for the appointed candidate to remain and work in the UK.
Full details including the Job Description and Person Specification can be found in the related documents on this page.
In the search for the next Secretary-General, the CPA’s nine Regions have been asked to seek expressions of interest from their jurisdictions. The Pacific Region of the CPA wants to contribute to a strong field of candidates, ideally gender-balanced.
To be considered, please send your application to the CPA Pacific Region Secretariat based at the Parliament of New Zealand by email to CPA@parliament.govt.nz. You must include:
- a cover letter setting out why you are interested, and how you meet the Person Specification, in particular the essential elements;
- your curriculum vitae (no more than three pages).
All correspondence should be sent to CPA@parliament.govt.nz.
The closing date for applications is 23:59 GMT on Sunday 8 December 2019.
All applications must be delivered by that time. Applicants are advised that late applications will not be considered. Applicants may be invited to have a follow-up call and/or participate in an interview in the week commencing 16 December 2019. Please ensure that you provide an email address and telephone number on which you can be contacted.
The Pacific Region hopes to put forward up to the permitted maximum of three Regional candidates to the next stage by 15 January 2020.
- The CPA Secretariat will engage an executive recruitment firm to reduce a “long list” of candidates from the nine Regions to produce a shortlist of five, by 31 January 2020.
- A Selection Panel of representatives from all Regions will interview these five candidates during February 2020.
- The Panel will aim to recommend one name for appointment, and one reserve, for decision by the CPA Executive Committee at its meeting in early April 2020.
- The successful candidate would be expected to commence duty on 1 August 2020.
Please note, any applicants from outside the Pacific Region who are interested should apply directly to their regional branch – contact details can be found here.