- Position Level: Band G
- Salary Range: $28,605.45 – $38,140.60
- Duty Station: Parliament Complex, Government Building, Suva
- Reporting Responsibilities
- Reports to: Senior Media Officer
- Liaises with: Manager Civic Education and Media, Senior Media Officer, Executive Management and Staff of the Department of Legislature and external stakeholders
- Subordinates: None
This position is responsible for all media-related activities of Parliament and Parliament’s social media platforms analysis and raising awareness of Parliament together with the Civic Education Unit in areas outside of the Parliament precincts.
- Provide media coverage in terms of writing press releases, photography and short videos of Parliament activities including Honourable Speaker’s events, Members of Parliament, Standing Committees, Parliament related events and Department activities.
- Ensure the production of Parliament newsletters, supplements and media related activities.
- Ensure timely update of Parliament social media platforms.
- Actively contribute to all corporate requirements of the Department, including planning, selection activities, meetings and consultations where required.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
- Ensure media coverage of Parliament activities through timely and accurate Press Releases and photography.
- Ensure the timely production of Newsletters and media Supplements.
- Timely updates of Parliament social media platforms.
- Ensure effective and efficient records management system to ensure timely access and retrieval of documents.
- All agreed task/activities are delivered and reported within agreed timeframes and compliant with relevant processes, legislation and policies.
In addition to undergraduate Degree in Communication and Journalism or Diploma in Journalism or equivalent, the following Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities are required to successfully undertake this role.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- At least 2-3 years’ experience working in Government or a similar organisation in the areas of media/public relations and
- Good understanding of Fijian Constitution (2013) and relevant
- Sound knowledge
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including excellent customer service.
- Ability to express ideas clearly in documents that have organisation, structure, grammar, language and terminology adjusted to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
- Organisational abilities and the ability to be impartial and maintain confidentiality of information.
- Ability to work accurately and effectively under pressure.
- Good technical and photographic skills
- Ability and drive to take initiative and think creatively.
- Ability to effectively work within a team with people from diverse backgrounds and communicate with people at all levels.
- A good working-knowledge of Microsoft Office applications in particular Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and the creative a
PERSON CHARACTER AND POLITICAL NEUTRALITY
The Department of Legislature operates in a politically sensitive environment. Any person who is, and is seen to be active in political affairs and intends to publicly carry on this activity, may compromise the strict political neutrality of the Department of Legislature and cannot be considered for employment.
All applicants for employment in the Department of Legislature must be under the age of 55, in sound health, with a clear police record. The successful applicant will be required to provide a police clearance report and medical certificate.
The Department of Legislature is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications are encouraged from all eligible, qualified applicants. Only the specific knowledge, experience, skills and abilities required for the job will be considered in assessing the relative suitability of applicants.
Please provide written application addressing the Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities (KESA) of no more than two pages with an up to date job related CV, certified copies of academic transcript/certificates and two work related referees one of which must be a current or recent supervisor and a covering letter. Applications that do not address the criteria may not be considered.
The appointment process for this positions will be in accordance with the Civil Service Open Merit Recruitment and Selection Guideline.
Applications must be submitted by 4.00 pm on Friday, 24th May, 2019; late applications will not be accepted.